I recently swapped out the OEM cheepo dual pivot front brake on the Hon
Solo for a 559; pads near the bottom of slot. The 559 is better, but not as
hugely better as I had hoped, despite the Kool Stop salmon pads. I have to
say that this must be the nature of the beast.

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 7:15 AM phil k <philipw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eric,
>
> I've found Tektro 559's to be suboptimal for 650b conversions, mostly
> because they had to be at the bottom of the slot to make it work. I believe
> Tektro 559s on a bike like the Hilsen with 65mm brake reach will feel much
> better.
>
> Even still, you can put Paul Racers on these, and they will feel
> excellent. I had the caliper Hillborne and Cheviot with Racers and they
> felt great braking in the wet.
>
> -Phil
>
> Arlington, VA
>
> On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 7:40:17 AM UTC-5, Eric Daume wrote:
>>
>> While I'm hemming and hawing over Reid's Joe Appaloosa for sale, I find
>> my eye also wandering over to the new MIT Hilsens. The sizing looks good,
>> love the color, nary an extra tube to be found (though I'm warming up to
>> the extra tubes). But, it uses the long reach R559 type brake. I've used
>> this brake (and the DC Mod 750) on previous 650b conversions, and it hasn't
>> been a great experience. They work OK in the dry, but when the rims are
>> wet, the stopping power was terrible. As a test, I sprayed my front rim
>> with my water bottle, and the R559 brakes took twice the distance to stop
>> as my V brake equipped Clem. That was with salmon pads on the R559.
>> Mountain bike style levers on both bikes.
>>
>> So, does anyone have a setup that works in the wet for long reach brakes?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Eric
>> who should just stick to my rule of "V brakes or discs or pass it by"

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Still 'round the corner there may waitA new road or a secret gate,And
though we pass them by today,Tomorrow we may come this wayAnd take the
hidden paths that runTowards the Moon or to the Sun.*
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique