I think it depends on a variety of things including the rims you intend to
use and various other things related to where and how you ride. I purchased
a non-canti 650b Sam Hillborne in Spring 2017 and ride in Vancouver, BC. We
get a lot of rain and we have a lot of hills.I first tried using HED
Belgium Plus rims with Silver branded R559s and  while I had no problem
with the  brakes engaging, I found that the brake arms flexed enough while
braking going down hills or mountain roads to creep up and make contact
with the tires in the front.

After a few months of attempting (myself and via bike shops) to adjust the
brake pads to not contact the tires in the front and having no luck, I
swapped the front Silver brake for a Paul Racer. After another few months
of having the same problem, I had my wheels rebuilt using Pacenti Brevet
rims, which a few mm taller brake track than the HEDs. After this, I found
that the pads wouldn't run into the tire if adjusted just right, but would
still creep worryingly close to the tires when braking hard. This resulted
in me having to adjust the pads every few rides and probably not riding the
bike as much as would otherwise given how much I enjoy it.

This fall I threw in the towel, brought the bike to a frame builder and had
them weld Compass Center Pull bosses on the bike. It's been great since,
but if I were to do it all over again I would have just purchased a model
with canti bosses. In any event, if you don't need to brake too hard or if
you're using a rim with a really tall brake track, like an Alex Rims DM18
or something, you should probably be fine.

Cheers,

Mike