I teach art and basic woodshopping to kids this age. I’ll second the idea that
it’s about building up to it, skillwise, rather than a specific age. I’m also
not sure it’s a responsibility issue either. There are certain safety things
you just learn with practice and exposure. I’ve had very responsible kids make
very dangerous mistakes simply because they hadn’t had enough exposure to a
tool to understand the ways it moves and what happens when your hand is in the
way. I think I’d go pocket knife-regular knife-hatchet- with a project or 5
based around each tool, before moving on.
My dad gave me a hatchet when I was maybe 10 or so, but he had had me making
kindling with his for years at that point.