on 3/13/10 10:18 AM, Steve Palincsar at palin...@his.com wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 10:06 -0800, JoelMatthews wrote:
>> At the '09 NAHBS in Indiana I thought I heard Mr. White say they are
>> CNC machined.
>
> In that case, wouldn't this make the daVinci/White cranks less desirable
> than the forged Sugino models?

My personal bias would be towards cold-forged.  That being said, the White
Industries cranks are one of the few CNC'd cranksets I'd consider.  I've
ranted a bit about cranks in general over on my blog, and much of it is
really outside the topic of this list.

http://ramblings.cyclofiend.com/?p=399

Pulling some early-90's recollection out of the memory cave (in other words
IIRC), depending upon how you spec your billet, you can get some of the
benefits of forging.  I'm sure some metallurgist will correct me if I'm
wrong, but I do recall that you can gain some of the directional benefits
within the metal when it the billet gets formed - there may be a die step
involved (as well as the various alloys of aluminum). As long as you do your
CNC work (or _any_ type of machining) with this in mind, you can minimize
the risk of breakage.

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Your Photos are needed! - Send them here -
http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"I threw one leg over my battle-scarred all-terrain stump-jumper and rode
several miles to work. I'd sprayed it with some cheap gold paint so it
wouldn't look nice. Locked my bike to a radiator, because you never knew,
and went in."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Zodiac"