They are similar in that they both ride like Rivendells.  "Better for
touring" is purely in the eye of the beholder.  Both can be used for
touring, no problem.  Both can be used as road bikes.  The Atlantis maybe
has a tiny bit more offroad top-end because it takes bigger tires, but you
can ride trails on the Hillborne too.  Both are extraordinary platforms for
executing a wide array of builds.  Some people may build them different
from each other to broaden their differences.  Some people may build them
the same, decide they are too similar and sell one.

My Hillborne is set up as a fast road bike that I use for brevet riding. I
just ordered an Atlantis which I'll be setting up as a drop bar mountain
bike. They are both awesome.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito CA