Capricious wind; yes indeed. The Sturmey Archer AM hub is perfect for winds
and modest hills, though -- 10% drop, then 75% (from high/direct). It
doesn't give quite the low of an AW, but that sort of gearing is perfect if
you want a cruising gear, a wind gear, and a hill gear. I've set my fixed
gear Rivs up with similar gearing (Dingles + single).

Rode to church this morning: cold but sunny and still with prospect of warm
afternoon. Nope, 22 gusts 30 with snow out of SW on way home. Rode outbound
in the 69" and 73" gears; 65" and 62 " gears on return. But alas, it looks
as if the snow will neither continue nor stick.