Thanks, Phil. To be clear: This "off gassing" continues for roasted beans
even if sit on store shelf in air tight package and, after opening, are
sealed up tight and left in freezer?

Noted reports from all about green beans and roasting. So, another
question: How long can one store green beans before they lose flavor? And:
how best to store green ones for longest life?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Researched home roasting with Whirlypop, which I own; problem: Smoke. Could
do on grill outside. Smoke aside, doesn't look too hard to try.

Aside: Recall the homespun coffee processing in the fields around our
house. The owner of the immediately surrounding plantation, Mr. Patel,
lived across the street (main thoroughfare into town some 7 miles south,
narrow, winding 2-lane, 60-70 mph, which I cycled on), and his property
contained large concrete tanks for fermenting (?) and hulling beans (his
well provided our water tanks with water). Kikuyu women were the pickers
using multi-bushel, hand-woven baskets with head straps to carry probably
60-80 lb of beans from fields to tank. I didn't see the next steps in the
process.

The "bibis" were big and husky and loud and boisterous and somewhat
intimidating in large groups. You'd hear multitudes of invisible voices
singing, chanting, cat-calling, and cackling across the acres.

Beans were picked when reddish. As with So Cal orange fields, sq miles of
coffee would blossom all together at certain times of year. I also recall
the small primitive tractor that sprayed the acres with pyrethrum -- driver
in open with no skin or lung protection; sprayer would come within a few
feet of our back hedges.

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 12:25 PM phil k <philipw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Patrick the problem is that once beans are roasted they start off gassing.
> Carbon dioxide exits which is good, but oxygen is introduced.
>
> It's not "bad", but your beans will be stale.
>
> OTOH, green beans stay "good" for longer.

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Still 'round the corner there may waitA new road or a secret gate,And
though we pass them by today,Tomorrow we may come this wayAnd take the
hidden paths that runTowards the Moon or to the Sun.*
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique