If you are taking about the round keys from Kryptonite, they were phased
out well over a decade ago and even then, not all were opened easily. I
could never open the three I owned at the time using the pen method.Take
your mechanics advice with a grain of salt. Kryptonite and ABUS are the two
leading companies for bike locks and they are for a reason.

The Lock Picking Lawyer has a YouTube channel where he just picks locks. I
watch these because of the entertainment value but he is very good at what
he does. Have a look at the lock he chooses for his own bicycle. More
importantly listen to why he chose that particular lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpVOTEOMRuE