Eric,  you certainly have gotten a lot of advice and all I can offer is a
single data point.  First, I will second Steve's observation that the Rene
Herse equipment is generally made for an integrated bike system, so it
often doesn't lend itself to a retrofit. Second, different brakes work
better or worse with different levers.  Make sure the lever & brake pull
are well matched.  I have Shimano, Di Compe, Tecktro and Paul's Neo retros.
 The first two offered only mediocre power, although the Shimanos worked
better with Tectro levers than with Ultegra.  I found the Teckro very
fussy.  The Paul's offer three great advantages that make them worth the
money to me.  First they offer both excellent stoping and modulation.
 Second, they are the easiest to adjust, although I did have a learning
curve with this until the process jelled in my brain.  Finally, they are a
lifetime brake.  They will last as long as your steel frame.  Maybe even
longer.  All of the parts are readily available at a reasonable price.  I
originally had Paul's racers on our tandem and have been very happy that I
converted to the Neo-Retros for the added tire clearance.  We run 45s on
that bike now.

Michael