Bikes on Amtrak: https://www.amtrak.com/bring-your-bicycle-onboard

Several years back, I explored getting with my bike from the DC area to mid-NJ.
 I looked at the trains, and there WERE trains, but none of them had luggage
service or took bikes.  Maybe things have changed.  Anyway, I decided to ride,
and go the scenic route, out to the coast (yes, I know it is called “shore” in
the east), cross at the Cape May ferry, and ride up the shore.

I have seen rinko bikes (Hahn Rossman and Jan Heine have both converted
theirs).  You can buy the parts from Compass (or Rene Herse; can’t keep up with
the name changes).

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/71d37684-9f50-4267-be1c-2fa9fca35d9d%40googlegroups.com.