Another suggestion for shorter riders: check out the high-quality
"children's" bike companies. Generally speaking, the geometry is designed
for and parts picked for shorter riders rather than some bike companies
which try to shrink existing bikes for shorter riders. (This is also what
GP argues in his design for out of the "normal size" bikes including
changing wheel sizes different reach, chain stay length, etc.)

IIRC, Islabikes no longer distributes in USA, but their Luath was highly
regarded. Maybe there are used ones out there?

Here's a small list from Rascal Rides:
https://rascalrides.com/best-24-road-bikes-kids/

Good luck!
shoji