I agree the specks look like the result of a light spray from the tires. Hit a
little dampness & the droplets fling off, the moisture quickly evaporates and
you are left with small spots.

Tires on a Clementine? The choices are sort of wide ranging. The Kenda's aren't
bad tires, but yes maybe a bit heavy and sluggish. Unfortunately, from there
where do you go? Depends on primary function. Marathons are a good choice. WTB
Horizons are a good quick tire, but maybe narrower than you might want on a
Clem? For a more offroad tire I like the Continental Race Kings or Mountain
Kings.