Neil:

Famous sag driver Lee Mitchell, who spent countless (thousands?) of hours
following cyclists day and night, used to say that the single most effective
piece of reflective gear is an ankle band. The reflectivity and the motion
capture a driver’s attention and immediately say, “This is a bicycle.” Lee
would advise that ankle bands work better than vests or taillights.

My favorite is this one from Rivendell Bicycle Works:
https://www.rivbike.com/products/ankle-reflector-rar
<https://www.rivbike.com/products/ankle-reflector-rar>

The two ends of the band attach to each other in a way that they create a
“flag” that sticks out to the side for more visibility.

And, SINCE YOU ASKED, please give me a second to step on my soapbox and say a
word or two about superbright taillights: THEY SUCK!! Here in the US, we’ve
gotten caught up in a taillight arms race, in which rear-facing lights are now
as bright as front-facing lights were just a few years ago. A bike with a
superbright taillight is impossible to ride behind—all you can see is a big red
glow in front of you. This forces the poor following rider to ride out to the
side (not safe) or far back (not very sociable, and makes drafting impossible)
or out ahead of the rider with the superbright light (not very fair to the
rider who’s just trying not to be blinded).

Lights this bright aren’t needed. Really, you don’t need much light to be
visible from pretty far away on a dark road. I note that when I was riding PBP
this year, the vast majority of cyclists (from outside the US) had reasonably
bright taillights. The arms race hasn’t taken hold over there … yet.

And don’t get me started on riders whose taillights are pointing upward, rather
than straight back, making them more effective at blinding fellow riders and
less visible to motorists.

--Eric Norris
campyonly...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)