Bitex touring hubs are the best bang for the buck touring hub out there.
Big Enduro sealed bearings, rebuildable steel freehub, adjustable bearing
preload... About half the cost of White.  I don't know why anyone would
build a nice wheel without butted spokes.  Sapim force or race spokes go on
even our most budget oriented wheel builds.  After multiple mud seasons,
the bitex hubs we run on our personal bikes are still spinning smoothly.
Yearly tear downs reveal only the most minimal contamination.  The main
difference in 'ride quality' is going to be engagement and ease of
coasting.  Shimano FH bodies are not rebuildable, and have a relatively
short service life in my experience (19 years building wheels).  Coasting
with Shimano FH bodies is often sort of sticky, with the chain lagging and
sagging when you go rapidly from pedaling to coasting.  That, plus the slow
engagement, are all the 'ride quality' differences you are going to have
between a nicer hub and a Shimano.  Bitex hubs use 48t engagement with 6
pairs of pawls.  White by contrast, uses 3 pawls, no pairs.  The White hubs
are nice, and they look better.  That's the main draw, besides slightly
lower weight.

Re:  Rim widths.  If you don't care about Tubeless, the Atlas rim is fine,
but get it with machined sidewalls for more consistent braking.  Really
though, the Cliffhangers feel fine with 38mm tires even on really rough
terrain, and why run a tire smaller than that ever?  Plus you can run
tubeless, which for the desert, has gotta be helpful.

For whatever it's worth, we stopped selling Atlas rims and Shimano hubs
about 3 years ago.  Bitex touring hubs are that much better, as are
cliffhangers.  A bit more scratch, but not a ton!

-James / Analog Cycles / Wheel builder