Whew, wish I  had time to dig through all the responses here; it's all very
interesting, but I  just wanted to throw a couple things out there.
My wife is Asian and while she is snall, I see her weight fluctuates wildly be
10% or more over a matter of days! I although overweight; don't have much
fluctuation at all. I notice if she eats too much "American" food she will gain
a bunch of weight very quickly, but as soon as she goes back to her traditional
vegies, but primarily fish & rice the weight comes off almost overnight. Now
when I  say she eats rice; it's a prodigious amount! If I was to eat that much
rice I would swell up like a balloon! I conversely have cut the amount of
starchy carbs I've been consuming and coupled with my riding have seen my
weight steadily decline. Point being that the diets that work for both of us a
almost polar opposite. I think this is partly cultural; over hundreds if not
thousands of years our bodies adapt to the foods at hand.
In my journey the things that seem to have made the biggest difference in order
are:
Sleep - lots of it.
Water- ditto
Diet- less starchy carbs, but also just generally, only eating until I am no
longer hungry, not until I am FULL. Over time the less I've eaten, the less I
can eat; to the point that it doesn't take much these days to fill me up.

Lastly, I  feel like doctors sometimes get cause and effect backwards these
days. You hear " obesity causes heart disease" for example. Hey, what is more
likely is the heart health or the lack of it causes obesity! In fact I am
increasingly of the belief that heart health is the root of a large number of
today's health problems. From Obesity, to dementia, to many stress related
disorders.