Here's my perspective, it is a subjective opinion in a world of bicycles
where people froth at the mouth over the most inconsequential details.
I own and ride regularly;
a 63cm Waterford Homer (2012)
MIT 60cm Sam double TT with sidepulls (2013)
58cm Appaloosa (2017)

I would never describe the ride of any of these bikes as sporty. The Homer
is still the most beautiful thing in the whole world with its more
traditional geometry and I still ride it every single day because it is my
commuter.
On the weekends though I'm riding my appaloosa on the trails. I find it so
easy to power up a hill in the saddle with a high cadence with that mad
wheelbase to the point that when i ride my Sam up the same trail i find
myself popping wheelies or losing traction using the same technique.
Descents again the long wheelbase is superior. Even on tight single track i
find I'm working with the bike instead of being out of the saddle and
whipping the bike around under me I feel like I'm in the bike surfing the
berms. It's radically different and just wonderful.

The current line up of Rivs just aren't as pretty as the used to be (I
still wish I'd bought a Hunq when i could've) but they are getting better
and better to actually ride.