I have been running tubeless on a road bike for a year and a half now, went
tubeless due to very frequent (most every ride in the Fall) goathead punctures.
There have been zero on-road flats since then, this is one piece of modern tech
I am truly impressed with. I check sealant level about every month, topping up
every 2-3 months.
I check by removing the valve core and using a q-tip paper stick. Plastic or
wire sticks don’t work well, the sealant beads up and it’s hard to see the
actual level. When the core is out, I put a drop of Boeshield in it. This was
advised on another forum and works to prevent the sealant clogging the valve.
I carry just a spare tube now, sort of worst case get me home insurance (also
Uber app :). So far I pull thorns out on most rides, and there have been a
couple of tire wires, but I’ve not needed to do any roadside flat repairs.