And now for something completely different ... at least re the pedal
question. My priority is the bearings and comfort underfoot at hight
pressure. I'm hard on bearings. Rocks, roots, and stupid wet, muddy, snowy,
freezing, sludgy riding will do that. VPs lasted me a matter of months and
generally didn't repair well for me. MKS cone and bearing pedals last me a
year and can be greased well for another year. But MKS cartridge pedals
have lasted beautifully so far, beyond a year and counting, so they are my
preference. My experience has been stack height is not a material factor. I
personally do not like the feel of the pedal shape of the Grip Kings
underfoot (my forefoot is my widest part of my foot, the narrowest part of
the pedal, so the GK's have great fore/aft stability, minimal lateral
stability for me). MKS All Ways pedals are a delight, as are their touring
pedals. If riding in the snow, touring pedals win, as pressure on the pedal
increases grip and discards snow, whereas most pedals it compresses the
snow into ice and renders them unridable until chipped off ... not fun at
temps near zero. Note: I ride fixed gear, no retention, on both All Ways
and Touring pedals, and my Gus has some stupid amount of gears and I ride
touring pedals for it. They just handle the bashing and crashing and
freezing and thawing and muddy mucky wet wonderfully.

With abandon,
Patrick