On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at 9:02:55 AM UTC-8, masmojo wrote:

> …

The picture of the bike in the bike rack is exactly the spot it was stolen
> from. It did not have that lock on it; just by coincidence I was using a
> thin cable lock that day.
> Why I couldn't take it upstairs? (Using the freight elevator even), I have
> no idea? Just stupidity really. It's what happens when you give an imbecile
> a little bit of authority; power goes straight to their head.
> Probably, part of it is they had JUST moved the bike rack over there,
> fixed the whole area up, painted it "look at these bikes you can steal
> green" as part of their most current refurbishment and if people didn't use
> it, they did it for nothing.
> Obviously,  it didn't have the desired effect.

Sorry your bike got stolen. The annoyance doesn't go away; I should know as
I'm still annoyed at the theft of my Diamondback BMX 30 years ago! :)

>From casual observation, a lot of bike infrastructure isn't designed by
practical cyclists. I appreciate that someone took the effort to enhance
cycling infrastructure, but they're doing it in a way that most practical
cyclists won't find particularly useful. Bike racks are one fantastic
example. Why are they usually out of the way, and shaped for inconvenient
locking? Worse, I've seen too many that are not at all secure, due to
simple oversights such as having nuts or bolts (affixing them to the ground
or building) that can be removed quickly and silently by simple hand tools,
thus negating even the most secure bicycle lock.