Drw said "by the time you install with a new wheel/tire/brakes/basket etc,
you’ll be wayyyy over 250$"

In my case, I decided to convert a late-1990s mountain bike into a college
beater for my son.  The bike was "free".  It was an aluminum Specialized
with a shock.  3x9 drivetrain, rim brakes.  For the conversion I chose:

a rigid front fork: $90 at Jenson
a simworks potluck front rack: $198 (but I already had it)
Wald medium basket: $20
Sackville Shopsack: $70
Solid bolt/on front and rear axles: $70 from Wheels Manufacturing (but I
already had them)
My labor: $free

So for the value of $448 I converted a decent mountain bike into a far more
useful utility college bike.

In retrospect I could have done a

Crust cargo fork: $245
BMX front wheel: $50 (guessing used from a BMX shop or other sources)
Wald Huge basket: $24
Solid rear axle: $35 (since the front would already be bolt-on)

For $354 I could have made a cargo bike.  It would have been over $100
cheaper if I had the foresight.

Given that a Pass and Stow porteur rack is $280, it makes that cargo fork
again really attractive.  Now if you started with an early 90s rigid
mountain bike, then you don't have to buy a fork to make it utility.  If
you run the WALD paperboy rackless setup, then perhaps you don't have to
buy a good rack.

My point is that the price of the project depends on where you start and
where you want to end up, but $245 for a fork PLUS a bomber cargo rack is a
steal.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA