Patrick,

     My only tubeless rims are Velocity Cliffhangers, and I've only tried
this with Rene Herse and Schwalbe tubeless compatible tires, so I don't
have a lot of experience, but...

     I use 2 Crank Brothers Speedier Levers which clip to the rim allowing
you to let go and inspect if the bead is still down in the well where I
want it, and that your tube isn't sneaking it's way out back under the bead
you're working on. After I get the first bead on, I insert the tube and try
to fill it up enough to make it behave, but not so much it interferes with
keeping the beads down in the well. Once the second bead is on, I check
again that the tube isn't caught under either bead, them use a floor pump
to seat the beads on the rim.

     Which rims, tubes and tires are you using?

Best of luck!

John