OK, I was looking at this on my phone last night and on my small screen the
white patch looked like what you were trying to fix; Now I am on my
computer I see that the white mark is just the refection of the light & the
skratches are to the left of that.

Better, I agree it looks as thought the scratches are confined to the clear
coat; so although they may not looks that great they are not serious and
the compound is probably the best bet.

Oh, & the black Sams are sick looking!