Hi all,

The story has a happy ending thanks for a local auto detailer.  I took it
to him yesterday and said "can you fix this?"  He thumbed it and said "I
think so, but my nail is catching one of the scratches so it may not come
out completely."  I said that's fine, even if it's just greatly diminished
I could live with it.  He put a dollop of liquid goop on a rag and polished
for a minute, reloaded his rag and polished for a minute more, said "I'm
gonna switch to something lighter," disappeared in back for a minute, came
back with a dollop of something else on the rag, polished for a minute,
inspected it, and said "can you still see it?"  I looked and said "nope,
you're a genius."

It took him about 6 minutes to fix the problem, which says a lot for
relying on experience.  And I got to watch him, so I'll be comfortable
doing it myself next time if there *is* a next time.  I brought it home,
put a coat of wax on top, and took it over to my mechanic a while ago.  He
won't finish it before I leave town later this week, but he'll have it done
by the time I return in a month.  I'm looking forward to seeing the
finished bike.

Thanks again to all those who chimed in.

Dave