'Twas a time that builders used special bolts in seatpost binders. They
were a socket and bolt combo that fit through holes in the seat lug tabs.
One side was free to spin (the bolt side) and the other side (the socket
side) had a key on the collar that fit into a slot cast into the lug to
prevent it from turning.

Those slots are there for the "key" on the socket side of the seatpost bolt
arrangement. One could choose which side to put the keyed socket in I
guess, but you'd never use both keyed sides at the same time or you would
be able to tighten the seatpost binder.

Hugh Flynn
Newburyport, ma

--