On 3/13/20 11:33 PM, Leah Peterson wrote:
Ryan is right, as incompetent as I am here, I’m a whiz in the kitchen, but it
was easy to get there with great, prolific chefs to teach me their methodology
in their cookbooks. Wrenching would be better taught (at least to me) in
person. And Riv bikes are different than the typical bikes that an instructor
might demonstrate on within a collective class.

Some of the youtube videos aren't bad, and there are plenty of "how to" bike maintenance books.  But sure, in person is excellent.

In this specific case, perhaps you can jump start your education with a little concentrated thought.  Look at the way the struts attach to the fender and to the frame.  See if you can visualize what they're doing.  Now take a hard look at that fender and see if you can in your imagination visualize what sort of attachment would stabilize it.

I can add three bits of information to the process.

1) if you need to adjust the curve of the fender, it works like this: if you spread out the edges, widening the space where the tire goes under the fender, the curve of the fender tightens and if you squeeze the edges together, narrowing the space, the curve of the fender opens up.  Aluminum is soft and can easily be squeezed together or opened up by hand.

2) unlike plastic fenders (you've probably installed and removed plastic fenders before) you can't adjust the shape of the fender by pulling it into line with the fender stays.  If you do, you put the aluminum under stress which over time will lead to cracking. You've got to get the stress out of it by reshaping the fender so it sits where you want it to sit without tension from the fender stays.

3) you need holes in the fender to bolt it to attachment points on the bicycle.  Fenders often come without the holes (because the mounting points on frames aren't standardized).  Fenders are flexible, so mocking up a fit (with masking tape, etc.) and marking all the hole locations and drilling them all at once wont work because once you bolt down one end of the fender the shape changes a tiny  bit and the other holes won't line up anymore. This means you have to make a hole and bolt it down, mark the next location, unbolt everything, remove the fender, mark and drill the next hole, re-attach, mark the next location, unbolt, drill, reattach.

--

Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia