I agree that it is beyond belief that a bike shop would not have the bolt-
not only the bolt, though- it amazes me that they don't have the know-how
and actually allowed a bicycle with an unsecured fender to leave the shop
"as is"

That, to me, is a huge red flag and I would immediately abandon the shop.
Though that may seem extreme I suffered greatly following a high speed
wreck due to an unsecured fender. It also makes me wonder, what other
safety issues is the mechanic oblivious to?

FWIW, in the off chance there was a packing error and that clip was omitted
a quick email to the friendly folks at VO would help turn up a spare part.
Also, as others have mentioned, a drill, some low-profile bolts, a small
"L" clamp, and a nylon or leather washer will also be a suitable solution.

Good luck finding a reputable shop!

-Robert, SLC