Adam.

Yahoo! I was hoping someone would ask about these.

I've not only used Trangia stoves touring, I also have switched many
of my sea kayaking expedition groups over to these. In short, these
stoves are great. They are durable, simple and relatively light.They
come with a cool teapot. They are made by workers who earn a livable
wage.

Unless you destroy the stove by beating it with a rock, it will always
work. I camp on beaches for weeks at a time with beginning sea
kayakers and they've always had stove issues due to sand and
mechanical breakdowns. This has never happened with a Trangia. I did a
two week field stove comparison with a group of experienced students a
year or so ago. We compared the Trangia with the MSR Isopro and the
MSR Whisperlite. The Trangia was the hands-down favorite.

The best thing about Trangias for touring in the US, is that it seems
that every hardware store in the country sells denatured alcohol - and
usually in quart of pint sizes. Lacking that, you can almost always
find a product called "HEET." I've heard that people use Everclear,
and I've tried it at home, but never on a trip.

Downsides - well, pot sizes are limited due to the low heat output.
Also, my 20 year old students NEED the 25 series set to serve two
people adequately. My wife and I use the smaller 27 series and it
works fine for us, but we don't really pound food. I use the pots for
cooking and eating when I'm on an expedition along with a single
spoon. I've found the stove is only adequate for cooking more advanced
meals, so if you are a gourmet, look elsewhere. Alcohol stoves are
less efficient than isobutane stoves for LONG trips without the
ability to ressupply. I can make a single, 8oz isobutane canister last
for 9 days. That same period requires about 32oz of alcohol for me.

As an aside. I believe that the key to using any stove efficiently
during long trips is learning how to use a pot cozy. Do an internet
search for backpack cozy cooking and you'll get the idea.All of my
students now use pot cozies for meal prep - we use half the fuel we
used to.

Dave