On Apr 7, 9:02 pm, Adam wrote:
 "I'd love to hear about about your experiences with the trangia
stoves
 Riv sells after months of cooking."

The Trangia is quiet! Which can be very nice for morning coffee.
The Trangia is a tad slow, and there is little control of the heat
output.
The Trangia is by far the easiest style of stove to find fuel for
(arguably more-so than wood burning stoves)... and rather miserly in
it's use.
The Trangia is indestructible.
The fuel (alcohol) is very safe but you must be careful when
operating. Refueling, knowing when it is lit, spilling etc.
The Trangia pretty much requires wind protection. At least a screen if
not using the cook system (offered at Rivbike)

On the other hand each stove type offers its advantages, get a MSR
Simmerlite (my vote for 'white gas'), a Trangia System, and a small
canister stove (any).  Bring whichever you like for each ride. On a
real adventure I'd grab the Trangia.
Also bring along a small folding grill top.  (REI has 'em) At
campsites with fire rings a grill top can't be beat for cooking
veggies (Tomatoes onions mushroom summer squash etc) and NY strip
steak or ribeye. Your Trangia won't do justice to a good steak.  I do
this a lot.
Personally I don't like the Esbit type systems- messy stinky tablets,
and I haven't used the interesting wood gas stoves.

As for the water discussion, I'll add that only filter types will rid
your water of chemical impurities. Not a problem around towns as you
can get municipal water, but nearby farms and industry can have
pollutants that biological purification won't help.
 Chem: Tablets are cheap but a bit of a pain in the butt. (use Vitamin
C after iodine to neutralize and for taste)
           Liquid is easier and quicker with no bad taste but
expensive in the long run.
           Chlorine - Cheap and works, but be careful of dosage and
most laundry brands have additional bad stuff. I think the Mioxx
system basically makes chlorine. (or some strong base)
 Filters: have been well covered. Fast clear water with mechanical
caveats.
 Ultraviolet:- Cool. There's not too much that can go wrong. Have
batteries, don't break it, and enjoy clean cold brown water! I keed.