I should say that one person's opinion of what constitutes acceptable safe
fender clearance may differ from another. In any case, fitting Jack Browns
under the SKS P45s on my Roadeo takes careful installation to max out the
available clearance. It is a tight fit. Perhaps tighter than some may be
comfortable with. Nevertheless, Rivendell marketed the Roadeo as being able
to do so and sold them like that. And I have never had any issues with my
installation other than an occasional leaf getting caught and making a
racket against the spinning tire. I am careful about running over sticks,
etc. as any rider with fenders ought to be.