Whether the current Sam is too long, too short, or just right certainly
depends on your body type but for me, it's perfect.  I have a 51 that fits
me spot on, and I believe strongly that in order to really love a bike, it
can't just be close - it needs to fit.  For my 50cm drops I run a 5cm stem,
if I ran standard width drops I'd go up to 6 or maybe 7, and with swept
bars I'd probably want a 12 or 13cm stem.

And regarding crazy-short stems - to me they are a matched set with the new
breed of wide drop bars, and together they make perfect sense.  Apart, and
they don't work very well at all.

Anyways I'm surprised to hear more Sams are coming back before even hearing
more about the Charlie H Gallop!  And I'd be very surprised if orange was
offered, since the last batch of Sams had the latest & greatest
slightly-pearled orange (ie, mine!)