Trailers and panniers.

Here we go - last one.

I owned a BOB trailer briefly. I bought it with the intention of using
it on a tour and I used it around town, but never toured with it. We
have seen/met lots of folks on the road with BOB's and have never
heard anything negative about these trailers. Everyone seemed
satisfied. I know that BOB's have lots of advantages, such as allowing
someone to use a bike that might otherwise be marginal or
inappropriate for touring.

Why don't we tour with BOB's and why did I sell mine? An important
reason is that we prefer the flexibility of combining public transit
with biking. Ferries, trains, light rail, buses and the like can be a
great asset when one is injured, sick, tired or simply wants to avoid
riding through the urban jungle. I cannot imagine using a BOB in some
of the situations we've encountered. For example, it's tough enough
getting a bike with panniers into an elevator and onto a San Francisco
BART rail car. Dealing with the extra length of a trailer would be
challenging. With our Ortlieb panniers, we can have the entire load
off our bikes in less than a minute and into large duffel bags for a
single, compact piece to carry on a train or bus. This means we can
wheel our bikes all the way through a crowded station and then pack at
the last minute. That said, I'll bet regular BOB users would have good
strategies and suggestions for dealing with the BOB on transit.

The biggest reason I prefer panniers? OK, I love the look of a touring
bike loaded with panniers. Even with my tight, streamlined rig, my
loaded bike screams out with a Grapes of Wrath look that says, "I am a
half-crazed traveler!" like those Dust Bowl Okie jalopies and the west-
bound prairie schooners. Looking at the RBW website, you can probably
see why I was attracted to Grant's bikes in the first place.

Take care and happy touring,

Dave