Hi from NYC; Dynamo lights and a loud bell or two.  I use running lights day
and night, not super bright, just normal DYNAMO lights, pointed not into
people's eyes but at the ground.  I re-adjust the light if it gets dark and no
one is around, easily by reaching towards my bar mounted headlight and
adjusting while riding.  The B&M tail light has a little reserve and stays on
at lights and whatnot, very useful for not getting run over while stopped and
checking your phone or something.

I think it's really that simple...dynamo running lights that don't blind and
are always on, and a loud bell that you ring every time you cross an
intersection or see someone.