Thanks for the tips everybody. Lots of good stuff here.

   - Quick release clips are an interesting solution- my SKS fenders only
   came with them on the front fender, but retrofitting for the rear sounds
   like a great option
   - Phil Wood hub sounds pricey but like a solid option if/when I need to
   replace the rear wheel. What a neat design feature.
   - Altering the fender is also an interesting thought
   - removing the mounting bolts sounds like a very reasonable option and
   relatively easy given that I won't be removing the wheel very often

but in the end, I'll likely take Eric's advice and just deflate the tire
for now since that requires the least amount of investment in new hardware.
Seems like a good temporary solution until I'm forced to make some changes
to the bike, or if I find myself popping the back wheel off often enough
that it becomes annoying.

Thanks for all your input!

Erik, Philly