Doug pointed out discounts are common.

That's totally true, but I think the distinction Michael Gordon was making
is that none of your example discounts are granted based on race, ethnicity
or national origin.

The example I would give is this:  I'm Norwegian-American.  There is a
college scholarship for which I can apply that is earmarked for
Norwegian-American applicants.  I could hypothetically apply for that
scholarship.  If I get the scholarship, I could turn around and sue the
organization that gave it to me on the basis of the quote on the ACLU
website.  It's a benefit that is granted based on my ethnicity.

Similarly, the person who takes RBW to court would need to apply for the
BRP discount, get the discount, and then sue RBW for giving them a
discount.  It would be a strange motivation to sue Rivendell Bicycle Works,
but I think the strict interpretation of the law may mean there's an
argument to be had, and I think the outcome of that argument could be
really good.

I don't think there is a grounds upon which an aggrieved consumer could sue
Rivendell Bicycle Works because they had to pay normal price.  You'd have
to get the discount to have a case.

I don't think the spirit of the law prohibits a private business from
electing to pay reparations.  I'll talk it over with my JD friends.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA