PLP has had a test bike from Rivendell for a while now.  It was originally
delivered with upright bars.  They recently changed to drops for a head to
head test of bars.  Interestingly he liked the drops better, although he's
had no complaints about the uprights.  Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-yyNxJcF5M

My question is whether anyone has determined a preferred location for hands
in relation to the pivot point of the handlebars?  Hands in front, as with
drops?  Hands behind, as with uprights?

What drives the question is my experience with my Atlantis.  I rode it for
many years with drops, and was quite pleased with the handling.  However,
over a period of years my hands developed numbness after a while on a
ride.  I rode primarily on the tops & brake hoods.  While on a trip, using
a rental bike with flat bars, I noticed a complete lack of hand numbness.
Hopping back on the Atlantis when I got home, the same hand numbness issue
was there.  I've tried various upright bars, first with the same 10cm stem
I'd always used, then with a dirt drop.  The numbness is long gone but the
bike does seem more sensitive to steering input with the uprights vs the
drops.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Doug peterson