Thanks, James. I've recently applied "Rock 'n' Roll Gold" which I guess is
a "dry" lube to a chain and wiped and wiped; was surprised to see how dry
the outside of the chain felt the next morning. I'll have to test this
again with a little more attention to see if it holds the squeaks at bay
for 400 miles (road bike) and to see if the outside of the chain remains
clean. If it works, I may switch to this or to Pro Link again.

The wax method does clean the chain, btw; first, there's very little dirt
that accumulates on the chain, and second, what does falls off in the
melted wax and forms a sludge on the bottom of the crockpot.

But easy as waxing is, you are right, applying Pro Link, etc to the chain
while it is on the bike, and wiping half a dozen times is easier yet.

Aside: Long ago -- 2010? -- I used White Lightning, supposed to be dry and
clean. It didn't attract sand, but it built up thick coils of grunge on the
cogs that you had to scrape off. I'm still finishing up the last 8 oz
bottle, probably a good 8-10 years old, by putting a bit on my pedals' clip
mechanism every so often; not sure it does much good ...