There's a lot to dig into there, Thomas.

Hubs shouldn't be catastrophically failing, axles should not be bending
(with a freehub setup) and I wouldn't even expect spoke breakage within
1,000 miles unless there were some other issues involved.

Depending upon conditions (wet winter weather, for example), repacking hub
bearings  within that period is well within reason.

A 250 pound rider is probably just below the the average for Clysedale, and
I know a few who run 32h setups without problem.  But, "bolt upright"
position is more than likely concentrating a lot of force to the rear wheel.
As "light" as you think you are riding, there may be room for improvement -
when you say that you lift the wheel, are you talking about the rear wheel?
Or, are you front wheelie-ing and concentrating all the weight onto the rear
wheel?

You don't say who built these wheels.  If they are "off the rack", they are
more than likely machine built, with little to no finishing, destressing,
etc. Some of the failures you've experienced sound like that.

Somewhere, I'm not sure about your numbers - 35mm tires with 60 psi on
trails with your mass in the position your describing sounds like
pinch-flat-city to me, though not if your limestone trails are smooth. Have
you experimented with larger volume tires? (Maybe that will be easier on the
Hillborne.) Big tires protect better.

In short, I'd either talk to Rich at Rivbike or find a local wheelbuilder
who is _not_ a 135 roadie (yes, there are exceptions...).  You want to find
the big-boned person who has broken wheels themselves (and having built at
least a few 100 wheels from scratch) and talk with them about it. The hands
that build the wheels are key. Handbuilt wheels are different.

I know you are joking about 48h and 3# hubs, but you more than likely don't
need either. At 48h, you have arguably a less strong rim (more holes) and
Ultegra/XT level hubs should be able to handle things.

Lastly, I'd have a shop check the alignment of your rear dropouts and frame.
Consistent wheel issues like that could be as a result of misaligned/bent
dropouts or rear triangle.

Hope that helps,

- Jim
--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Current Classics Bicycle Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc
Cross Bike Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/cx
Single Speed Garage Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg
Working Bikes & Practical Hardware - http://www.cyclofiend.com/working
Work Shops of the iBob's - http://www.cyclofiend.com/shop

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the
anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."

William Gibson - "All Tomorrow's Parties"