Installed Silver (v1) shifters on Shimano pods last night/this morning. I
had a problem very similar to what Nikko described above. The lever for the
rear derailleur worked like a dream. But the one operating the front mech
was difficult to use.

Surly LHT, Albatross bars, Shimano pods. Front derailleur is a Shimano
Tiagra FD-4503.

After some trial and error I have them working nicely. The Shimano levers I
removed worked just fine. I installed the new Silvers using instructions
for SuperMix Shifters from a 1999 Riv catalog: Snipped and modified the
shifter boss stop, mounted lever and washers, applied beeswax to the wing
nut. Installed cables as normal. The lever for the rear worked just fine.
The lever for the front was *very *difficult to operate. At first I thought
I couldn't move it at all.

I took the troubled lever off. With a closer look I noticed the shifter
boss wasn't sitting perfectly flat. The channel I cut there needed to be a
bit wider to clear the nub in the shifter pod. So I filed that down some
more. And I had incorrectly run the cable at the pinch bolt. I had been
going under the tab, I needed to go over top the tab (consulted
installation manual and some forums). This changed the leverage a bit to my
advantage.

While doing this I also replaced the cable and housing. I didn't see
anything troublesome in the cables and housing so far as crimps, dimples or
kinks. I applied some additional beeswax to the threads of the wing nut.
Reassembled.

Now the shifter is working as expected.