I love reading this thread. Its great. My first wheelbuild was for my
dirtbike, going from an 18 inch to 21 inch front wheel. Rode the heck out
of it. IIRC cross 2, MC shop calculated the spoke length, stock drum brake
hub laced to an Akront rim. I think I was 14 or 15 at the time. About 15
yrs later a coworker  wanted as quick and dirty as possible wheel build. I
re-used spokes from a CA (cheap ass) bike and steel rims. Using Jobst
Brandt's book for instruction, the wheel turned out fine but as another
poster mentioned, the starting position was off by one spoke hole so the
spokes were not parallel at the valve but crossing above it. My second
wheel turned out with the spokes parallel at the valve stem, but like
others, every fourth spoke was off. My 9 month old daughter was helping me
at the time.  Many moons later and and close to 100 wheelsets, I keep
riding. I always think about my wheel building capabilities when zooming
down a hill at 35-40 mph (I hit close to 50 mph on my San Andreas Fault
tour) and ... I am writing this email.  I think you would have to totally
F-U the wheel for it to be hazardous. You will probably know there is a
problem before it catastrophically flies apart.  Hey, the spoke-rim system
has been around for centuries. What could go wrong? (ben hur chariot race)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=frE9rXnaHpE

Mike SLO CA