Ray, I ran the Ultradynamico Rosé on my Hillborne (one batch ago) which
measure 49-50mm in reality, and there was at least 5mm per side thru the
fork and lots of clearance at the back. I would feel comfortable running
any tires labeled 48c, but I don't think I'd try a 2.1".  Besides, anything
bigger than 48c doesn't make sense to me - you're starting to change the
geometry (namely BB height) and push the bike outside the zone its meant
for, and neither of these things are going to make the bike ride better.