On Apr 20, 2010, at 3:35 PM, Beth H wrote:

Mojo <gjtra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I would like to echo Patrick's thoughts. Beth, Patrick, and I are all
riding Rivendell 26ers, with higher trail than the Kogswells used in
the BQ tests.

I am not an expert on bike gemometry. That said, I keep wondering if
there is a correlation between wheel size and frame size that changes
the ride quality as well? I've mostly heard responses here from guys
who ride much bigger frames than I do. Would a larger frame (and
longer chainstay lengths, and bigger everything else) change the ride
quality that much? Would it change the tire choice substantially? It
sounds like it's up to the individual rider, but I remain curious.
Obviously, a 1.5 Pasela seems to been a good solution for me, but my
frame is a 53cm c-t (55cm c-c top tube). How would this be for someone
who rides a 60cm frame? Would it make a difference at all?

Mine (1996) is a 59.5 with a 59 cm top tube. So the top tube is about 4 cm longer than yours. I don't know if the chainstays are longer, but even if they are the same the wheelbase would be maybe 4 cm longer, depending on the front geometry. If the chainstays are longer, then my wheelbase might be longer still.

All other things being equal, a bike with a longer wheelbase will be more stable. I suspect a small/short top tube, low-trail bike with really short chain stays and skinny hard tires would be like riding one of those bikes with two wheels that steer.

The best handling bike (for racing, back when I raced) I ever rode is my Ritchey with 700 x 23 Michelin Super Course slicks. It had the perfect balance of stable and nimble for racing. Now that I don't race, I still ride it but not as much. I prefer slightly fatter tires and a bit more stability at the expense of some nimbleness; the Ritchey will fit 25s and I might be able to squeeze in 28s, but it doesn't handle as nice with the bigger tires. I ride the Riv A/R most of the time and my homebrew 3 speed the almost all the rest of the time.