On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM, swenindy <brynnarswen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm sorry to say it but I find this post extremely distasteful.  I
> know all of us on this list find the money to buy expensive bikes (at
> least once in a while) but this "oops, I forgot two grand worth of
> dreamy bike parts in my basement" routine is unbelievable and a really
> pompous way to let everyone know about both your "good" taste and your
> disposable income.
>
> I mean really, if you could "forget" a new Riv build with Paul, King,
> TA, etc. components how serious of a cyclist are you?  I would bet
> most of us think hard and save up for expensive bike builds.  The type
> of attitude reduces the love of beautiful bikes to absent minded
> conspicuous consumption.
>
> So, did I miss the joke or something?

I don't think there's any joke, nor is Scott trying to flaunt any idea
of wealth. I know Scott only slightly, but i don't think he and his
family are any more well off than most of us, and bikes are their main
(only?) transportation, so it's certainly not out of line to have a
bigger bike budget when you aren't spending money on a car. I haven't
found a Bleriot in my basement, but i've certainly rediscovered
misplaced valuable things in the basement or garage, and that's
without two cross-country moves in the last few years. I spend
relatively little on bikes, but i've certainly accumulated enough
decent parts over the years to build 2 complete bikes from the pile of
stuff in my garage, so maybe i'm not that shocked by this. It's a nice
find, and even Riv-related - relax!

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN