Thanks, the beeswax is an interesting idea. I'll give that a try. (BTW, any
idea if beeswax is a good substitute for anti-seize? I have had a tube of
Shimano anti-seize that's lasted
me about 6 years but it's starting to run out).

I'll also see if any of my other shifters have metal washers. I think I
have some bits of Campagnolo stuff that might do.

Cheers,
Johnny