If you know a frame builder, you can just install a tube thru the fork
legs, likely similar to your Surly.  This is what I did on my Atlantis & it
works great with a Tubus Duo.  Mine has worked well for a number of years &
many fully loaded tours.  The guy who did mine was a hobbyist, not a pro,
and I touched up the paint damage with Testor's modeling paint.  Crude, but
serviceable.

*Note that this method is specifically NOT RECOMMENDED BY RIVENDELL!  *

dougP