I owned a first edition Sam for a year or so and, if it had accepted fatter
tires I might still have it; it was, or would have been, a very nice all
rounder; the early ones were limited to -- Bill may and will correct me --
about 38 mm wide, IIRC, and there weren't (IIRC) any or many nice rolling
38s on the market circa 2010-2011; I used Jack Brown Greens. I found the tt
too long, but in retrospect, d'oh!, I could have -- you know -- bought a
shorter stem (bar height is not for me a variable).

But I sort of kind of agree that if someone held a gun to my head and said,
"One bike. Choose." I'd be very tempted to pick either the Matthews 1:1 or
the Matthews 2:1 (2X10 29er road bike for dirt and 1X3/1X1 26er road bike
for road) with 61 and 41 mm tires respectively. OTOH, I keep coming back to
home base: the 1999 Joe Starck stripped down fixed gear, which is among
many very pleasant bikes still the most pleasant, even if it gets the
fewest miles.

>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/51183817561
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/51183880066
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/45758191@N04/51183881196