I shift a non-standard 10-sp cassette (but more-or-less in-series Miche
cogs) with Suntour Barcons and the shifting is excellent. This is a very
close ratio cassette, though.

I'm using an 11-speed chain, per a tip from Bike Radar that a chain 1
generation ahead of the cassette allows crisper shifting. I can't say I've
noticed a huge difference over a 10 speed chain, but -- again -- the sytem
shifts wonderfully, so much so that I'm tempted to try friction shifting an
11-speed cassette.