I'd stick with the assumption that 50mm is the limit. Platypus started as a
road bike with sidepull calipers as the Cheviot, then got an update with
v-brakes and a new name. My Riv custom-with-droptube was also designed as
primarily a pavement bike and shares the same fork crown*, I'm running 47mm
tires with about 3mm of room left.

*Historical note: My frame was being designed at the same time as the
Platypus, I think it's basically a Platy prototype without the curvy
mid-stays!

Joe Bernard