Thank you, Garth! What an education this is, and I really appreciate the
time and effort you've put into helping me understand this.

As for how much play, if I had to guess I'd say that when I grab my wheel
at the tire a move it laterally to test for play there's maybe a 1-2mm
shift. Maybe? I don't notice it when I'm riding. Then again, I'm not even
sure what I would be noticing if the wheel were flopping around as I ride.

However, I have noticed of late that sometimes when I'm braking in a corner
there's a little bit of a shriek from the rear rim. This is, in fact, what
got me thinking about the play again after coming to terms with it for some
time. Could be just an improperly adjusted brake pad, but I did just change
them (salmon thinlines), set them up properly, and still a little noise
while cornering. Somehow I'm imagining the angle of contact between the
brake pad and the rim changes slightly while in a corner due to the play in
the hub, and this is what's causing the noise. But, I'm certainly not
knowledgeable enough for this to be anything but an hypothesis.

I'm looking forward to investigating the RC vs AC bearings. In the
meantime, my take-away from your note is that as long as I have radial
bearings I should expect some play in the hub when off the bike.

Thanks again!
John