One more thought. I've commuted in the rain (we do get rain even in NM) and
found a rain cape the best wet weather protection. I've even worn a cape,
at a light, cheap nylon on (Campmor, but in fact I like these better than
the much more expensive cotton and nylon Carradice models because I don't
sweat in them, and they fold up very small -- I weight the rear with 2 or 3
small stacks of metal washers sewn to the bottom rear of the cape) in a
howling SW downpour with gale-force winds, and capes don't seem to make
riding much more cumbersome in such circumstances. Rain caps also cover
your saddle and handlebar.