On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Shakesbiker <pbdemar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I appreciate all of the great info about this great bike.  I wonder if
> anyone knows where to find information about the naming.  Was this a
> favorite dog of Grant's or did the name make reference to a literary
> dog?  This could be another vein for names...Airedale, Springer,
> Retriever for a grocery bicycle?

I dunno the background - but saluki's are VERY fast dogs that can go
over desert and mountainous territory quickly.

They can traverse odd country incredibly fast. They were bred to chase
down rabbits iirc.

>From wikipedia:
Although the greyhound is the fastest dog breed with a top speed of
around 45 mph (72 km/h), the Saluki's strength lies in its great
endurance and stamina. They may not be the fastest sighthounds, but
they can run for much longer than the sprinting breeds.

What better for a bike?
- go fast
- go far
- keep going in many many terrains.